The mind is a very powerful tool that a person has.
The subconscious forms about 60-70% of our minds. Right now, you’re primarily using your conscious mind reading this article, but beneath that mental focus, your subconscious mind is busily working behind the scenes, absorbing or rejecting information based on an existing perception.
The power of your subconscious mind goes further than you might think. Your subconscious mind has immense power in controlling your life experience.
- You would want to think of the conscious mind as the gardener with seeds ready to plant
- The subconscious mind is the garden with fertile soil.
The conscious mind continuously deposits thought into the subconscious. Every thought is a cause and every condition is an effect.
Facts about the conscious mind
- It does not think or reason independently; it merely obeys the commands it receives from your conscious mind.
- Your subconscious mind is an unquestioning servant.
- It is reactive to your thoughts.
- With every experience, your subconscious mind soaks in information like a sponge.
The subconscious mind is like an auto-pilot feature on an airplane. It is pre-programmed to follow a speciﬁc route and you can’t deviate from that route unless you change the directions programmed into it ﬁrst. Its function is to store and retrieve data. Its job is to ensure that you respond exactly the way you are programmed. With this, you are assured that your output will be directly a result of your input.
There is a concept in Philosophy by John Locke called Tabula Rasa – the mind is blank at birth, just like a slate.
When we were young, we would believe anything and everything. The mind had no data before that. We were told babies come on a plane at night. This seemed as absolute truth. Growing up, we are started getting different information. This conflicted with previously stored information. It had to take much validation, biology lessons, reading books, watching it on TV, for us overpower the belief of babies and Aeroplan’s.
Our brain is very complicated; however, we have much control we have over its programming. Everything you say and do is absorbed by the subconscious mind and it is fitted into a pattern consistent with your self-concept
Have you ever wondered what happens when you start a car lookup on the internet and days following that, you start seeing that model frequently in town? You tend to wonder, where were these car days before? What happens is that your conscious mind has sent information to your subconscious and activates the Reticular Activating System – responsible for regulating wakefulness. It acts as a filter for data.
The brain will regard what is important by what you focus mostly on.
Growing up, we have been exposed to different situations, positive and negative and these have to a great extend formed who we are today. Nevertheless, we have no excuse is negative personality or behaviour. Eric Erikson’s theory f personality states: personality develops through a series of stages. Meaning to say, we can change our personality by choosing what we deposit in our subconscious mind. What we focus on.
Whatever you impress on the subconscious mind is expressed on the conscious.
Thoughts – Behaviour – Personality – Character
Steps to take to maximize the power of the subconscious
- Take the time to know you.
- It helps you be more aware of your abilities and how you can overcome your challenges.
- Have quality reframing time – replacing negative emotions and thoughts with positive ones, always think positive, and limit the negativity you are exposed to.
- If watching a horror movie makes you go the next three days without showering, because you are afraid of being alone in the bathroom, stop watching any.
- If being around a particular person makes you lose your self-confidence because they always comment on your negatives, stop hanging around him/her.
- Monitor inner conversations
- Self-talk is very important in building your efficacy.
- Get in a routine of reciting repetitive positive affirmations each day.
- Engage in a deliberate conscious effort of positive deposition.
- Read good books
- Listen to positive content
- Ask for feedback from people that have considerable information about you.
- It gives you an awareness of the perception of others on your personality
- Use the feedback to further improve yourself
By focusing your thoughts on uplifting ideas, your subconscious will begin to implement a positive pattern in your way of thinking and your outlook on life.
You can achieve just about anything if you ﬁrst take the time to reprogram your subconscious mind!
I end with my quote “Without deliberate effort, even the most important things sleep in your subconscious mind”
Cecellia Saidi Matthews.
Ref: Joseph Murphy PhD., D