Its winter! A good time for those excuses for not taking in water. During the cold dry months, it’s easy to believe we don’t need as much water. After all, we’re not sweating as much and we don’t feel as thirsty.
Contrary to what we may think, staying properly hydrated is just as important during the winter.
1.Staying hydrated protects your immune system
Moist mucus membranes help keep you healthy. Although the name may not sound so glamorous, mucus plays a pretty important role in keeping us well. It protects us, acts as a barrier, and defends our body from bacteria and viruses when we breathe in. However, our mucus membranes need to be moist in order to do their job. And the cold winter air can easily dry them out, if we don’t get in enough water.
2.Your body still needs water
Your bottom line quota for water doesn’t change during the winter. If you weigh no less than 65 kgs, you’d need, on average, about 2.14 liters, but that changes according to weight.
Drinking enough water helps you in many different ways – from flushing toxins out of your system to differentiating thirst from true hunger to lubricating your joints and preventing fatigue, dizziness, and headaches.
3.It’s easier to become dehydrated
When it’s cold our sweat evaporates quicker and we don’t feel the need for water like we do during those hot summer months. But, just because we don’t feel like we’re thirsty – it doesn’t mean we aren’t. Take a look at your urine when you go to the bathroom. If it’s dark or bright yellow, then it’s a sign your body needs more water.
Quick Tips to Stay Hydrated During the Winter
- Get in enough water by drinking something you enjoy, like sparkly water or flavored water.
- If you want something to warm you up, try unsweetened tea.
- If you are really terrible with drinking water – Try an app, like Drink Water Reminder, Waterlogged, to track your water intake and send you reminders to drink more.
- Carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go – out of sight, out of mind!
- Schedule water breaks in your calendar.
- Start a water drinking challenge in your office/circle.
- Recruit a friend on your journey to drink more water and check in with one another daily – Good way to get in check.
- Start your morning by drinking 2 glasses of water (warm preferably) so you start your day on the right foot- hydrated.
- Add a slice of lemon or lime to add some “pop” to your water. Lemon water come along with its benefits among them, its powerful antibacterial properties, helping in fighting infections, acting as a detoxifying agent and helps with maintaining digestive health.
So!, let’s get drinking. Refrigerated water is NOT a MUST, take warm water and hit your daily target.
Take Charge of Your Life. Be In Control